Bible Prophecies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mountains

2 posters

Go down

Mountains Empty Mountains

Post  A Bible Student Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Mountains are clearly identified by looking at a couple of verses in Daniel and Jeremiah.

Daniel 2:35
Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth.
Above is the end of the dream that Nebuchadnezzar had. Below is the interpretation given by Daniel of that part of the dream.

Daniel 2:44
And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
Here, a mountain is used to describe the kingdom that God sets up over the whole earth.

And in Jeremiah, the term mountain is used to refer to Babylon, the ruling empire of the day.

Jeremiah 51:24-25
And I will render unto Babylon and to all the inhabitants of Chaldea all their evil that they have done in Zion in your sight, saith the LORD. Behold, I am against thee, O destroying mountain, saith the LORD, which destroyest all the earth: and I will stretch out mine hand upon thee, and roll thee down from the rocks, and will make thee a burnt mountain.
We can see that when a mountain is referred to, that is not a true-to-fact mountain, it is used as a strong pervasive kingdom that rules a vast area, or in other words, an empire.

There is nothing inherently good or evil implied about a mountain empire.  Whether it is good or not has to be taken from the surrounding context.

Supporting verses from discussion below:

Isaiah 2:3
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

Last edited by A Bible Student on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:55 pm; edited 3 times in total

A Bible Student

Back to top Go down

Mountains Empty Re: Mountains

Post  dianamoreno Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:39 pm

I think it is also used to describe the kingdom of God.
Isaiah 2:3. "And it shall come to pass in the last days that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains and shall be exalted above the hills and all nations shall flow unto it." It is used again in 2:3.

E-sword has it as H2022, the same "mountain" as in Jeremiah 51:24-25.

dianamoreno

Back to top Go down

Post  A Bible Student Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:30 am

dianamoreno wrote:I think it is also used to describe the kingdom of God.
Isaiah 2:3. "And it shall come to pass in the last days that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains and shall be exalted above the hills and all nations shall flow unto it." It is used again in 2:3.

E-sword has it as H2022, the same "mountain" as in Jeremiah 51:24-25.
Absolutely! This is expressly stated in Daniel chapter 2 (which is Aramaic, so the Strong's number won't match), when 'a great mountain' is defined in the same chapter as the kingdom that God sets up.

The mountain as a picture of an empire can absolutely be good (as in God's kingdom) or not so good (as was Babylon).

A Bible Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum